Research Paper Outline Format
Doing research paper is a very important and tedious task that every student has to deal with. A research paper is a paperwork based on a certain thesis, which you need to approve or demolish using evidence, collected from different sources, and in such a way to prove your position.
Usually, students start to do their research papers in advance, as they need to examine a lot of literature, which is a rather time-consuming task. While reading different books, they make some notes, take out quotations, or underline useful thoughts. Thus, as a result, they have a huge amount of information to use for their research paper. What they really need at this stage of work is to outline all the information.
It’s easier to systematize information using outline format. It looks as follows:
- For main points use Roman numeral.
- Then use capital letters for minor points.
- There can be as much minor points as you need; all of them must be related to the main point or be its part.
- Use Arabic numerals for the subpoints of minor points.
- There can be as much subpoints as you need; each subpoint must be related to the minor point.
- If you need to divide your information further, use lower case letters.
- Sometimes you will need even smaller division. In such case use Arabic numerals and a parenthesis.
Then this format repeats until the outlining of the information is completed. The format is especially useful, when students write research papers, because they need to analyze what they are going to include into the paper and how they are going to do it.
It is really important not only to find good information, but also to present it in the right way. That is why preparing an outline ahead helps a lot.